The Circle In The Grey

all the rediculous melodrama of an opera, but this is no stage. this is real.

March 21, 2006

All That Glitters

A Story From The Other Side Of The Tree
"and after he had fought with death and lived through it, and faced utter destruction and hopelessness, and fell with his face in the dirt time and time and time again...
he refused to stay there. he refused to let something or someone else win.
...he still yet had the strength to get up each time, and still had the strength to continue pushing and fighting and wanting, and still had the strength to live...
...he learned then that whatever he wants he just has to fight for, and that eventually, if he wants it badly enough, he will get it. because strength is vital. and nothing is stronger than desire and passion and raw courage and determination...and, in the same way, nothing is weaker or more repulsive then one who is never willing to risk anything - when risk is the only thing holding back. all. there is no honor and there is no strength in one who will not put it all on the line, will not risk everything, for something that is worth even more.
she is up high, watching the entire world.
her heart. it wants to be free.
but she won't be won just by anyone, and she won't belong to just anyone. only the strongest and most courageous and the one who wants it the most and fights for it the most. because then she will know it is true. then she will know it is safe to give. because her heart is the only precious part of her that is only hers to give, and so she will not just hand it to anyone. she would rather live a life completely alone and isolated, then put her heart in a place that was not safe...
On the battle field, only the strongest survive.
And so she sits in her castle, adorned in flowing fabrics that glitter and shine snowblindness as sunbeams catch it, wearing her crown of rubies...and diamonds are strung along her ivory collerbone and drape lower and lower, enveloping her and cradling her...and she watches them all, the knights below, bringing gifts and sacrifices and offereing promises and calling her sweet names...
...and she listens, yes she listens, to all of them and is moved by all of them. but she gives her heart to none of them. because her heart belongs to that one in the field...fighting and slaying and proving himself...not just to her, but proving to himself as well...
It belongs to him. and she sits there quietly, knowing that soon enough he will come for her, and he will sweep her into his valor and his passion and a huge, huge, huge, never-ending adventure. Adventure, adventure, adventure. she craves it more than anything.
she would trade every last one of her rubies and diamonds and jewels for adventure in a second... and for life. her heart belongs to him, because he will bring her to life again."



16 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wheres that from?
ahh steph! im praying for you always!! I can't wait to see you again and i really hope i can go back with you!! Call today!:) i wanna listen to you talk ... that sounds creepy! haha... well i will talk to you laterrrr!! and ....goodbye for now <3

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger brokenbyHislove said...

hey gurl, that sounds so awesome and I'm gona pretend i know what you mean but really I identify with it in my own way. only most of the time, I don't view my heart as a precious gift... and no one seems to want to fight for it...

but I hope that you truly realise how precious you are and how much you deserve. i am still trying to believe it...

geez when you come home we're gonna have to chat it up!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger steph said...

lol, you kristen, over most people, should be able to understand where i am writing this one from lol...

"...i love you...oh nevermind"

yupp, some things may never change! But...i might still have a little bit of hope...maybe one day, i REALLY will be swept off my feet...

and you will too.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger brokenbyHislove said...

you know what? I truly hope so, too.

But I know that until I love God more than anything else... I won't be ready for my husband.

but that takes PATIENCE!!!

and you, of all people, should know how much I WORRY..... about everything. so I worry a lot that he doesn't exist!!!

but when that guy comes and gets you, I'd better be impressed. lol

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger steph said...

hah, i don't know if one ever gets to the point where one loves God more than anything else. Maybe so...maybe not.

But anyhow, we're never ready for anything in our lives anyways. i used to count on that...that i would be ready for everything, that i would just know any decision was right because i was...ready.

know what? that's a bunch of crap. i have never been ready for anything in my life, and i doubt if i ever will be, or if i would even want to, and usually i am just fine with that.

usually.

anyways, i think you will just be more impressed with the fact that i actually said "yes"...than anything! hah.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger brokenbyHislove said...

lol, I lvoe your laugh on this, 'hah', it's so cynical. hehehe...

I will be entirely impressed when you get married... IF you get married... who knows what God has in store?

and you are right, I don't know if I'll ever love God more than anything. I'm trying so hard to treat him like a father and a friend but I have no idea how to do that... I wonder what happened to the old me who was so on fire.

and you are also right about being ready. I can't anticipate anything, i know nothing. usually these days I either don't do risky things to jump right in... tragedy ensues... lol....

bein in a hole has made me think a lot about what answers we actually have... I know that christians get depressed and suicidal and lonely and all the things that non-christians do. but then, what's the difference btween us... like I kind of know it, but while I've been in this hole it gets hard to see the answers to my questions.

I sure hope God's sitting in here with me. I think he is. and i'm sure he's right there with you too....

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No matter how you're heart is aching, if you just keep on believing, the dreams that you wish for, will come true."

Cinderella sang that one. I figured her song would parallel your choice of Sylvia Plath poem to post last month.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger ty said...

Hey friend, I really like your post. I believe it captures what both men and women long for. Yet, I don't fully agree with this statement,

"...he learned then that whatever he wants he just has to fight for, and that eventually, if he wants it badly enough, he will get it..."

Perhaps sometimes this is true, maybe even most of the time. I guess it all depends on what or who you are fighting against. There are deep desires in my life that I have been ready and willing to fight for, but as I battle, I realize the one I am fighting is God. Now it is true that God may let may let a person win this fight, but it’s a shallow and meaningless victory when you have "beat" God and "win" the thing your Creator deems best you do not have. Sometimes the best fight is fighting the urge to throw punches at God (though he takes it very well, I must say). Sometimes the only way to win is to lose. Sometimes losing is taking the risk…

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger steph said...

regardless of how "shallow and meaningless" the victory is...the point is, it can still be acheived, and won. that's all i was saying. although you bring up valid points, and they are correct, you cannot say they are in disagreement with mine, because i did not address such statements in the first place! i was simply trying to convey that, idealistically, when a person wants something bad enough and fights for it bad enough...they will eventually get it. whether or not that "thing" becomes different...better...worse...any of these or others, is besides the point. whether it becomes the wrong thing in the end does not change the fact that it was achieved.

One more thing. You said, "sometimes the only way to win is to lose" and "sometimes losing is taking the risk." maybe i just am missing what you see, but doesn't the fact that you are "winning" through it completely disqualify the loss? Isn't it all still a win in the end, regardless of the means (ie. through choosing to lose?)

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph! You went to the symphony?! I loveee the Mendelssohn violin concerto, I'm really jealous! Yeah Chopin is definitely "the man" as well.

Ah, I remember the days well when you wanted to be George Sand, that cracked me up! Anyway, miss you lots my friend!!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger steph said...

umm Christine? i still want to be George Sand.
Except not really be her...she was quite a strange, domineering lady. Just have her role perhaps.

Let's go to the Detroit Symphony when i come back for, um i think a week? in May. Weren't we supposed to go in December? Anyways, they have some amazing performances this summer. We'll take Jamie too. And then go for BBT after. Hah, that reminds me of inviting Danny to BBT that one time! i can't believe that. Who was i then christine? seriously...

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH let's go to the Detroit Symphony!! Let's not forget that you not only invited Danny, you gave him a hug! Heheh, you're hilarious, I love it.

When are you going to be back in Windsor? Yeah, for sure we'll do BBT, what else would we do.

OKay, since I'm chatting wtih you, I'll end this here.... hehe

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger steph said...

christine you're a dum dum...it was a "WORD UP!"

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger MJ said...

heya steph, i just had to leave a comment on this one...because well it's written about friggin' me!(well not just me...but i am like that). anyways, my cousin just sent me this survey (u know those ones that ask u all the questions about urself...then u fill it in and send it to a billion people..) well one of the questions was, "what's your biggest fear?" and well my answer was "that i will not live an adventurous life and be stuck in a hum-drum job with a hum-drum life" ...ahh i crave adventure more than anything, yet what have i done? NOTHING!!
well i just wanted to say, your post is awesome, and i am not waiting for adventure any longer! thanks steph.

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story and all - I like the part where the knight falls in his face in the dirt time and time again - but what about this side of the tree? What story will you tell about that?

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger steph said...

hmmm, this side of the tree. usually i just forget that real reality is on this side of the tree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home